Hampstead is known for being the home of very affluent residents (see Bishop’s Avenue, also dubbed “Millionaire’s Row”). But it’s of course much more than that. Hosting one of London’s largest green spaces – Hampstead Heath – a vibrant High Street, and well-known for its artistic, literary, intellectual associations, Hampstead has preserved a village atmosphere and a thriving neighbourhood community.
A stone’s throw away from Central London, it is connected to the Northern Line (Hampstead station). For those working in the City, count a 25 – 35 minute commute by Tube. Hampstead Heath railway station is on the North London Link, connecting Richmond to Stratford via Highbury & Islington. The service is now run by the London Overground. Hampstead can also be accessed through the Jubilee line (Swiss Cottage station) and the Metropolitan line (Finchley Road station), and is well connected to local bus services.
If you are looking for a flat to rent, Hampstead offers a wide choice of property sizes, from fully detached modern villas, 18th and 19th century cottages, to terraced houses / flat conversions and mews properties. It offers a high concentration of high-ranking schools, making it very attractive for families.
Average listed rental prices (per month) for a good 2 bedroom flat ranges from £2,200 to £2,500, and from £3,400 to £3,800 for a 3 bedroom flat. Rates will depend on the location of the property, proximity to Hampstead Heath or Primrose Hill being two influencing factors with a tendency to boost rentals.
Top private schools include Devonshire House School, St Anthony’s, University College School, Hampstead Parochial Primary, South Hampstead High School for Girls, The Hall School, St Mary’s and Northbridge House. The American School in St John’s Wood is also very accessible from Hampstead (count 30 min by public transport).
Hampstead Heath covers 320 hectares (790 acres) and runs from Hampstead to Highgate. It has three swimming ponds, a zoo, an athletics track, and education centre, acres of forestland and grassy open space. It’s a favourite spot for joggers, picnic lovers and families.
Kenwood House is a former stately home located on the Northern boundary of Hampstead Heath. Besides offering a gorgeous park of over 100 acres, the house itself hosts an impressive collection to paintings from Rembrandt, Turner to Gainsborough.
Parliament Hill (standing at a height of 98 metres / 322 feet) is another open parkland located in the southeast corner of Hampstead Heath. It is popular for its stunning views of London’s skyline and major landmarks, including the Gherkin, the Shard, St Paul’s Cathedral and Canary Wharf.
THE HIGH STREET & BOUTIQUES
Hampstead’s High Street & Heath Street showcase a lovely combination of independent retailers and well-known commercial chains, along with art galleries (going up towards the Heath), buzzing cafés, pubs and restaurants. It also hosts Hampstead Market, serving food directly sourced from local farmers and producers.
Groceries: Artichoke, Gail’s, Hampstead Market, Jeroboam’s, Le Pain Quotidien, Louis Patisserie, Maison Blanc, Meat Naturally (Organic Butcher), Paul, Tesco, The Hampstead Butcher & Providore
Fashion & Apparel: Comptoir des Cotonniers, Gap, Hobbs, Jigsaw, Kurk Geiger, Maje, Oliver Bonas, Petit Bateau, Reiss, Sandro, Tara Jarmon, Trilogy, Whistles, Zadig & Voltaire, Zara Home
Children’s Apparel: Baby Gap, Cub’s, Jacadi, Petit Bateau
Health & Beauty: Boots, NK Space, Ritz Pharmacy, The Organic Pharmacy
THE PUBS & RESTAURANTS
Hampstead is buzzing with vibrant cafés, pubs and restaurants. A few popular options:
- The Holly Bush - 200-year-old pub and grade II listed building built by portrait painter George Romney, located on Mount Street, at the heart of Hampstead (Holly Mount)
- Jin Kichi - Japanese hotspot with traditional robata grill, surrounded by counter seating, serving sushi, grilled skewers, shochu cocktails and sake (Heath Street)
- La Crêperie de Hampstead - must do attraction in Hampstead, serving French crêpes with a large variety of fillings from a lovely food van; be ready to queue up (average waiting time of 30 min) (Hampstead High Street)
- Spaniard's Inn - One of London’s oldest pubs (16th century), it was immortalised by Dickens in The Pickwick Papers. It boasts a large garden, very pleasant in the summer evenings (Spaniards Road)
- The Horsehoe - British gastropub located at the heart of Hampstead, serving beer from Camden Town Brewery, this is a well-established local hang-out; enjoy a drink listening to some live music on Sunday evenings (Live Music Sundays) (Heath Street)
- Carluccio's - Italian restaurant chain (Hampstead High Street, between Hampstead and Belsize Park stations)
- Côte Brasserie - Modern French brasserie chain (Hampstead High Street)
- Café Rouge - French bistro chain (Hampstead High Street)
- Gaucho - Argentinian steakhouse chain (Heath Street)
SCHOOLS & MEDICAL FACILITIES
The neighbourhood offers a large choice of highly rated independent schools and state schools. Primary schools include Northbridge House, Devonshire House, The Hall, Queen Mary’s School for Girls and Lyndhurst House. The area also offers several well-rated secondary schools such as South Hampstead High School for Girls, and UCS for boys. More details can be found by searching by postcode, school name or type of school on Schoolsnet.
The Royal Free Hospital is the closest from Hampstead. Founded in 1828, it’s one of London’s major teaching hospitals.
Hampstead is popular amongst the affluent community and has a long-standing relationship with artists, musicians, intellectuals, etc. Comedian Ricky Gervais and popstar George Michael have both chosen to live in the area. Other famous faces that you might well encounter in the streets of Hampstead include Sting, Michael Palin, Ringo Starr, Boy George, Jonathan Ross, Judy Dench, Emma Thompson, Jeremy Irons Liam Gallagher, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Bates and Ridley Scott.
We’d love to hear about your favourite places in Hampstead. Share your experience!
Want to rent in hampstead?
If reading about this beautiful area wants you to rent in Hampstead, do check out our iOS mobile app to make your search easier!